Friday, November 19, 2010

Bedtime Prayer

I just love the way kids can say something without even necessarily knowing the significance a particular comment can have. After going through our beditme routine, Mr C and I always do a small prayer (Now I lay me down to sleep...) and then I ask him what he would like to thank God for today and who he would like to pray for.

Sometimes, it can take some urging on my part, but usually I say things like, "Do you want to thank God for your friends at school or for your toys?" You know the regular stuff we generally thank him for. Usually, he'll give a one word answer and a couple times he really surprised me by saying he wanted to thank God for Jesus and the baby in mommy's belly, which he came up with completely on his own.

However, this time was different. He told me he wanted to thank God for Jesus, his walls, the windows, the lights and lightbulbs, the moon and stars, his clock, his bed, his blankets, and toys - especially lightning McQueen. At first I thought it was cute that he must have just been looking around his room and naming things he could see. Then I thought about how much we take these things for granted every day and especially in this economy many are without these very seemingly simple things.

What a great reminder of how important it is to acknowledge and be thankful for even the simple things in life, especially when the bigger things seem to be lacking at the time. Kids are so smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment