Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Patio Potty

The summer has gone by with the blink of an eye and I can hardly believe the beginning of school is already here. We didn't go many places this summer, but managed to get a trip in to visit my husband's family and a friend of mine that both live in the same city. Our friend has just recently moved into a new home and it was great to spend time with her and her two children that are similar in age to Mr C and Little A.

There was only one incident that left me feeling a bit mortified over the weekend. My friend and I took Mr C and her children to a local science museum, while my in-laws took care of Little A for the day. Upon returning, Mr C immediately ran into the backyard to play on the jungle gym set up in her neighbor's yard that it seems her neighbor has no problem sharing. I ran over to my in-laws to pick up Little A leaving Mr C in the care of my friend.

As she went inside to get the others situated she peeked out the back window to check on Mr C, but couldn't seem to locate his whereabouts at the time. Frantically, she ran outside calling his name. Shortly after she found him squatting on their neighbors patio behind a bush ready to take care of business. "What are you doing?" she exclaimed. "I have to go potty." he said. "You need to use the toilet inside, not the neighbor's patio." she said. "Oh, okay." he said.

As she told me the story when I returned, I couldn't help, but laugh. That was until I realized that her neighbors were likely home at the time with a car in the driveway and a light shining from the kitchen. Did they see?!? Not sure what I would do if I saw some stranger child crouching on my patio. I suppose I might go out and interrupt, but then again it could be an awkward situation. Luckily, a light hearted conversation with the neighbor mom later in the evening revealed they were unaware of what had taken place. Whew!!!

I guess we need to work on toilet training a little bit harder in unfamiliar territories. "Yes, honey. We use a toilet no matter where we are! If you don't know where it is, then ask!"

No comments:

Post a Comment