Sunday, October 23, 2011

Another Doctor Disaster

It was finally time to take Mr C to get his cast off and unfortunately I was the one that had to take him. It started off as though it wouldn’t be a problem, until they brought out the saw. I had brought a sucker and book to occupy him along with some head phones to hopefully help with the loud noise, but these were no consolation to a scared 4 year old.
The woman that initially tried was a bit of a softy and didn’t seem willing to do it without Mr C’s consent, but getting his consent was not going to happen. She said she would send the doctor in to take it off claiming he was “really good with children.” I suppose if just taking it off regardless of how he was acting is “really good with children” then he was exactly as she said.

Another doctor’s appointment red in the face with sweat on my brow was not what I was hoping for. Mr C began screaming and kicking the doctor so hard I was afraid he might accidentally get him right in the crown jewels. The worst part was that even after he finally got it off while I held his arms and legs best I could, he couldn’t stop screaming. Full fledge in a fight or flight reaction to the fear of the saw cutting his cast off. You would have thought he had actually cutting his arm off as well.

After he thought his arm was still broken and demanded the doctor put his cast back on. I said everything in the world to try and calm him and finally the only thing that worked was to say they might call the police if he doesn’t calm down. Miraculously this brought his ranting and raving down to a whimpered cry. Hey, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

When the doctor came back he joked that Mr C had frightened all of his other patients away for fear of what he had done to him. Mr C continued to demand that his arm was still broken and wanted the cast put back on. ‘Please no,’ I thought to myself. ‘I can’t go through this again.’

He was finally satisfied with an ace bandage, which it took about a week after getting the cast off for him to finally take off for good. Whew! Now we are just trying to keep his rough play to a minimum to avoid another broken arm being that it can break more easily over the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment