Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wild Animals

It’s amazing how it can start at such a young age for boys to realize the power they have with their urinary equipment. While hanging out the other day, Mr. C said he had to go potty, which usually he is able to easily do this by himself no problem. All of a sudden I hear what sounded like urine hitting the inside of a bucket. Oh yes, he had flipped his stool over and chose to go inside that instead of the toilet.


Does he see this somewhere to imitate or just suddenly decide, “Hey I wonder what would happen if I did this!” I suppose that children with wild imaginations are often those that others want to be around because they are fun.

If you just do the same things every day without changing things up a bit, you might miss out on some excitement. Now, I am just waiting for him to go in a potted plant in the corner of a friend’s house. I have heard of that happening before. Just the other day I saw a boy going on a tree in the middle of the park (no joke), not sure where that child’s parents were.

Recently, I read that children are just wild animals in need of being tamed and trained. This does make sense in a strange and unusual way that I don’t like to think about. However, I think raising children is more than just taming a wild animal.

You can have a dog that does everything you ask without any thought as to why you are asking it to do that. Is that the kind of child I want? Not really. My husband said that he heard the dog breed Border Collies are actually considered to be smarter than two-year-olds. What?!?

I’m not sure whether I consider someone or something to be smarter simply because it/she/he does something asked immediately without questioning why or trying to do what he/she really wants. Doesn’t it seem smarter of a child to refuse when he/she doesn’t want to do something than to be some brainless obedient living thing that would jump off a cliff simply because its master said to.

I’m trying to raise Mr. C to think for himself, problem solve for himself, and be a leader, not an obedient follower, all while still teaching him to respect authority and love others unconditionally. Am I dreaming to think this is possible? I don’t think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment