Sunday, June 6, 2010

Eating Inedibles

One thing I have noticed lately is that Mr C is getting much better with putting inedibles in his mouth. I’m not sure if he is just slowly maturing or if the brushing has helped to eliminate his desire to mouth objects (symptom of sensory seeking). Just a month or so ago we went to a local gym that offers open recreation for children to be able to rock climb, play on gymnastics equipment, such as trampolines and foam pits, and also play in a sandbox that has small pieces of black rubber instead of sand.

Well, initially Mr. C was playing so well in the sandbox pushing around trucks. Then, suddenly he decides that the small pieces of black rubber might be good to taste. Before I could stop him, he had a mouthful. Of course, he immediately started to spit them out, but not before it hit his gag reflex.

The next thing I know he had thrown up all over the black pieces of rubber in the box and down the front of him. You have got to be kidding me right now?!? I quickly took him into the bathroom to clean him off and then went to go take care of the mess in the sandbox. Luckily, there wasn’t anyone around to notice my awkward situation and the throw up in the box was easily removed with a number of the small pieces of black rubber.

I did mention the incident to the person in charge, but she didn’t seem too worried. She seemed to think it had probably happened before at some point. Yuck! It might be that this incident was punishing enough for him to realize that maybe he shouldn’t put things in his mouth without making sure they are edible.
It’s funny, I can’t get him to even try strawberries or raspberries, but small pieces of black rubber.. mmmm now those look goo-ood!

No comments:

Post a Comment