Monday, June 28, 2010

Eye Doctor Disaster

Last week I had an eye doctor appointment that I had intended to go to alone, but after my husband got caught up at work, I decided I had no choice but to bring Mr C. along. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal, as the appointment was a follow up for contact lenses. However, I was mostly worried about him touching things he shouldn't or refusing to sit quietly while I had the appointment with the doctor. What happened was not what I expected!

Things started off well with him waiting patiently in the waiting room with me. We went into the exam room and he sat in the corner chair while I hopped up into the examination chair. Then, the doctor came in and dimmed the lights. This is when it all started. At first he got out of the chair and started saying, "I'm scared, it's dark." I tried to reassure him to no avail, but it was when the doctor went to put the eye glass machine on my face that things really started to heat up.

At first he was just crying pretty bad and trying to run out of the room acting as if the doctor was going to hurt me or something with the machine. I tried to console him and convinced him to stand quietly on the other side of the door while holding the handle, hoping he wouldn't look anymore. Unfortunately, he began to peek through the crack in the door and with the widest eyes I have ever seen he began to scream the loudest pitched scream I had ever heard as the doctor tried once again to examine my eyes with the machine.

The look on the doctor's face was priceless. I don't think he had quite had that happen before. I tried to explain Mr C's sensory issues although I'm wondering if other children may have reacted the same?? It's so hard to tell anymore. Finally, a wonderful nurse came along and distracted him with stickers, so that I could finish my appointment.

I admit however, I was a little embarrassed about the loud screaming. I think even the people in the waiting room heard that. He acted like the doctor was murdering me or something. By the time we were leaving he was going in and out of the rooms pointing at the machines with a smile. Go figure....

No comments:

Post a Comment